Thursday 4 July 2013

I hate other peoples kids.....or is it just other people?!?

I hate other peoples kids!..... There I said it, shoot me down think I'm evil but its a fact. Maybe hate is a bit strong a word but damn it at times I mean it!

Where does it stem from you may ask...well about two years of protecting my child from the savage waifs and strays at the local toddler groups and soft plays. Its enough to drive any mother to insanity!
Now I'm not talking about the kids that have the odd tantrum maybe snatch or throw a toy (usually at a fellow playmates head). That's part of the joys of toddlerdom they are entitled to a few bops and whinges, that's how they learn. I'm talking about the unaccompanied wild kids you know those ones with foam at the mouth a wicked glint in their eye. The kids that the regulars steer their kids away from and give newbies warning glances.
You'll find their parents sitting far away from the play area coffee in one  hand either gossipping with an accomplice or engrossed in a funny cat clip on their iphone/pad. They seem to have no cares as to what their beloved little people are doing and even when informed their little angel had been sinking their canines into some poor defenceless child's thigh there is little cause for concern. These parents astound me how any one can show that little interest in their child is beyond me. I wonder what sort of upbringing that poor kid has. You have to wonder if this is how they behave in public what is home life like!
I wonder if these parents saw their "little angels" wandering aimlessly around the soft play frame, looking for some child to bash obviously bored senseless. Would that paternal guilt kick in, would they see the errors of their ways. I sadly doubt it! These parents in a few years time will be asking where they went wrong why wont they listen to me!
 There's a part of me that wants to take them home teach them how to behave play with them. It brings a tear to my eye at times. I hope for their sake as soon as they hit three they get dumped in nursery as at least they would have some company and maybe communication.

I admit I feel like a bit of a sanctimummy as I'm sitting here judging others but hey if this post makes one of those parents think twice and jump in there with their kiddiewinks see their faces light up as they show the slightest bit of interest then the risk is worth it.


I'm no supermum and yes I probably check my phone too often and lil dude is certainly no angel at times but I'd like to think that the time I spend with my little dude is precious and I am damned if I'm wasting it looking at cats falling behind sofas!

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I have the same reservations about these types of parents. Whenever we go to soft play why would I just sit there and gossip or just play on my phone? that is the whole point of soft play for me to go and have fun with my kids! The same goes for the toddler groups we attend. It might sound a little antisocial or rude but I'd rather be running around playing with my kids than just sitting there having a coffee and chat without actually checking what my little ones are up to. If you come over to me and start a conversation of course I talk to you, but first and foremost if my kids want my attention I'm sorry they come first! People go to these toddler groups to have a little bit of peace from the kids, which I think is all wrong, these sort of groups are purely there for the kids to meet and socialize with other kids that the grown ups get to have a coffee and a chat is secondary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Markus, I usually don't attempt the coffee I can guarantee as soon as I have a hot drink in hand a toddler will hang on my leg or attempt to roof surf on a cozy coupe lol! Its great to see others share my opinions :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and I totally get where you're coming from! Popping over from MBPW.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments I love reading them and will always reply!